Uptown Gay and Lesbian Alliance
How to register for Zoom on a Computer
The first thing to do, of course, is to register for the service. You can do this either from your laptop or from your mobile phone. We’ll cover the web service first.
1. Go to Zoom’s signup page. You might first be asked to enter your date of birth. That’s because if you are younger than 16, you aren’t eligible to make a Zoom account unless it’s for school.
2. You’ll next be presented with a few options for creating an account. At the top, you can enter your email in the box labeled “Your work email address.” If you do this, move on to step two. Even though Zoom asks for a work email, a personal email should work fine.
3. You can also create an account by clicking the “Sign in with Google” or “Sign in with Facebook” buttons, after which you just download the Zoom desktop app and move on to step seven.
4. If you entered an email, Zoom will send an activation email to that address. Click the “Activate Account” button in the email or copy and paste the activation URL into your browser to activate your account.
5. On the page that opens up in your web browser, you’ll next be asked if you’re signing up on behalf of a school. Assuming you aren’t, click the “No” button and then click “Continue.”
6. On the next page, fill in your first and last name and a password.
7. On the next page, you can invite other people to create a free Zoom account via email. You can skip this step if you want.
8. Next, you’ll be given a link to your personal meeting URL and will have the option to click an orange “Start Meeting Now” button to start a test meeting.
9. After you’ve installed the Zoom app, you’ll see buttons to “Join a Meeting” or “Sign In.” To start your test meeting, click “Sign In.”
10. On the next screen, enter the email and password you just used to sign up for Zoom in your browser. If you registered using the “Sign in with Google” or “Sign in with Facebook” buttons, click those buttons here and follow the prompts.
11. Once you’re logged in, make sure you’re on the “Home” tab, and then click the orange “New Meeting” button in the Zoom app. Your meeting will start.
How to register for Zoom on a Mobile Device
If you sign up for Zoom using the mobile app, the process is similar to how it is on the web.
1. Download the iOS or Android app. When you open the app for the first time, you’ll be presented with the options to join a meeting, sign up for Zoom, or sign in to a Zoom account. Tap “Sign Up.”
2. You’ll next be asked to confirm your age.
3. Once you’ve done that, on the next screen, you’ll be asked to enter your email address, and your first and last name. Once you do, “Sign Up” and you’ll then be sent an activation email.
4. Tap the “Activate Account” button in the email you receive, or copy and paste the activation URL into your mobile browser.
5. From there, you’ll be asked to complete the same steps outlined above to make an account, just from your mobile browser.
6. Once you get to the screen that has your personal Zoom meeting URL and orange “Start Meeting Now” button, tap either and you’ll be taken directly to a waiting room for your test meeting in the Zoom app.
7. To open the meeting, tap the “Sign In” button at the bottom of the screen. On the next screen, enter your login information and tap the “Sign In” button.
8. Your test meeting will open up in the app.
Copyright © Uptown Gay & Lesbian Alliance. All rights reserved.